Halloween at the Grand Californian Day 2 Part 2

The first showing of Aladdin was at 12:10 – we kept missing this show on previous trips and were so hoping to see it on this trip. So after riding Monsters Inc we decided we’d kill some time at Toy Story. The 40-minute wait should be just about right. For the first time, I reached a decent score – at one time I was ahead of Rich (for the first time), but he passed me by. But I finally learned to shoot like crazy and even though my overall accuracy dropped, my overall score was higher. Woo hoo! Sore fingers and thumbs afterwards, though. 🙂

On a previous trip, we picked up Jessie, and this time, per Jessie’s request, we stopped off in the gift shop to get Woody. The same sweet, older gentleman was the CM who waited on us – love that guy!

We still had some time to kill so we stopped off at Burrrrbank Ice Cream in the California Zephyr “train” – another thing we’d wanted to do since the beginning but never had time before – and shared a Strawberry Sundae – YUM, YUM!

By the time we arrived at the Hyperion Theatre, the line was all the way around the side, and just as we got in line, they opened up the Mezzanine seating. We saw the Mezzanine people were allowed into the building first. We were wondering if we should get out our line in the hot sun, and enter the Mezzanine. But we didn’t and it worked out nicely for us. Although we were almost last in the building, the CMs found us seats in the 3rd row, center aisle – woo hoo!

This was a FABULOUS show – Broadway calibre – great cast and interesting CMs chatting with us before the show. The genie was hilarious and made little comments about twitter and iPhone – LOL!

The show was an hour long and so worth waiting for.

We had the best morning ever at DCA, and afterwards we decided to catch some lunch back at the GC and ended up back at Hearthstone Lounge – a favorite spot we discovered on our last trip. We ordered the “Robusto” FlatbreadTopped with Coriza de Bilbao, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Burrata Cheese and Romesco Sauce – and 2 Sangrias. The nice CM took our order but came back to report that no Sangria was available anywhere. No problem – the menu had several enticing FABs to choose from. Rich ordered some form of a Long Island Iced Tea and I couldn’t resist the Habanero Margarita – YUM, YUM, YUM! So yummy, we ordered another Habanero Margarita and shared it – and then went back to the room for a nap before going to Disneyland Park for the night.

We strategically planned our time of arrival – right after the parade ended – and we walked down Main Street, admiring the Halloween decorations. We were so excited to see some signs of fall.

We took our usual left turn at Adventureland, moseying into New Orleans Square and saw that Pirates (POTC) was a walk-on so we rode that. Later, we discovered this was our only chance to ride it, so we were glad we grabbed the opportunity when it came.

After POTC, the crowds were lining up for Fantasmic (showing twice) and we were saying how we must do Fantasmic at WDW because at least you have real seating and it’s not blocking the path.

The line to the Haunted Mansion (Holiday version) was huge and we knew we could do that another time when it wasn’t that busy, and by this time we were hungry for dinner so we stopped in at our favorite – Rancho del Zocalo – and we had:

Rich: Carne Asada & Red Chile Enchilada Platter – Succulent Beef cooked to perfection served with two Cheese Enchiladas.

Kathy: Soft Tacos Monterrey – “Fajita Style” Beef, Chicken, or Vegetables, topped with Cheese and served in Flour Tortillas.

We found our favorite table next to Big Thunder Mountain and enjoyed listening to the cheers, screams, and laughter while we ate.

We then strolled the back way past Big Thunder BBQ, through Fantasyland, and on to Toon Town to ride Roger Rabbit. I hadn’t ridden this ride since it first opened when I was there with my niece, and Rich had never ridden it. Roger Rabbit was a walk-on, and Toon Town was practically deserted. Toon Town closed right after we were finished walking around. On the way out, we checked out Minnie and Mickey’s houses but didn’t see any decorations, so we headed for the train.

The train took us back to the Main Gate, allowing us to avoid the crowds and give our feet a break. We thought about sitting on a park bench to watch the fireworks, but after living so close to WDW that we saw nightly fireworks and growing up hearing Disneyland fireworks every summer night, we decided to pass, and headed back to the hotel. We couldn’t avoid the fireworks, though, because we heard the big booms outside our room. Talk about deja vu.

About Kathy

Novelist & Music Producer