Summer of 2015 Kickoff: Miracle on the Mexican Riviera, Day 5: PV Sailaway

Wednesday, May 20, Day 5: Puerto Vallarta Sailaway

We didn’t sleep well the night before. Between two margaritas and a half glass of wine, the ship not moving, but the rhythm of the party boat rocking in our heads instead, we just didn’t sleep well. And, well, tequila always wipes us out.

We ordered coffee but after waiting for half an hour, we wanted to go up to the Lido deck because we needed coffee pronto! We called room service to cancel it but they said it was on its way. We waited a bit more and then said, the heck with this! We changed into our swim suits and threw on some shorts and headed for the Lido deck.

We found the coffee and put together some breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon for Rich, sausage for me and some banana bread that was quite delicious. We ate our breakfast and checked out the Serenity deck. We figured with being in port until 3 p.m. the hordes would be off the ship. The Serenity area was quiet but very hot. The pool looked green and after what we saw happening in that pool before, we decided we’d return to the main pool.

We swam, talked with a friendly kid we called Glen (he reminded us of the kid on “Mad Men,” soaked in the hot tub and chatted with a woman from Pomona where my grandmother had lived when I was a teen. She was originally from Baldwin Park and I mentioned that’s the first place I lived after I was born.

Originally, we’d talked about walking to one of the resorts and hanging out by their pool. It was supposed to just be a ten-minute walk away but we were tired from last night and didn’t want to risk the streets of PV by ourselves.

When we’d had enough sun, we sat in some chairs in the shade near the ocean and an open window and enjoyed the breeze and drank some ice tea. When it was time for some lunch, Rich got us some hot dogs and fries from the grill. He refilled his ice tea and brought an ice water for me.

Around 11:45, we walked the deck and at noon, we returned to our stateroom for a nap. At 3 p.m. the ship began to sailaway from PV and we waved good-bye from our balcony and enjoyed the views of the ocean.

IMG_0193Lovely view from our balcony

We showered and dressed at 5 p.m. and headed for the Red Frog Pub or is it the Thirsty Frog Pub and had a couple of their signature beers, the Thirsty Frog Red or is it the Red Frog Ale (I can’t seem to get this straight.) Anyway, it was quite tasty and Rich proclaims is just as good as the Red Rocket Ale from Big River Grille on the Boardwalk at WDW.

IMG_0189The official name of the beer


The Red Frog Pub


Thirsty Frog Red


The Tiki Bar in the Red Frog Pub


Rich enjoying his Thirsty Frog Red

As tired as we were, we decided we’d stop by the Deli and get some sandwiches for dinner in our stateroom and watch the Survivor Finale, which started at 6 p.m. ship time because we were on Miami time. So at 7 p.m., Rich snuck out and brought back a Pastrami on rye for me and a Reuben for him. My notes also mention pumpkin cake and Tiramisu and milk but I don’t remember if he brought those back or we ordered them from room service. I suspect the former because I think after we ditched the room service coffee that morning, we decided we wouldn’t order from room service again.

With the ship rocking us to sleep once again, we slept well, which was a good thing since we would have to meet in the theatre for our Cabo excursion the next morning at 7:15 a.m.

About Kathy

Novelist & Music Producer